When you buy something from links on this page we may earn a commission. Learn More
Every series of the Nike Air Max has been fearless, inspiring and diverging. However, the Air Max 90 has been one of the most legendary sneakers in the history of Nike. And the rationality is certainly not unknown!
No prizes for guessing the OG chunky footwear was released back in 1990. But even now, it remains Nikes one of the most profound sneakers with remarkable design and fabrication. Designed by Tinker Hatfield, these silhouettes were Nike’s second flagship and garnered some quirky colour blocking and noteworthy larger than life exposed units.
The designer ensured that the Air Max 90 was known as Nikes’ best-known successors 30 years later. With more Air in the heel and more technical, the genius brain created sensational sneakers.
Did I mention these kicks were originally recognized as Air Max 3? Let’s get into the nitty-gritty of its interesting story.
Let’s take it from the notch. In 1988, Nike experimented with a walking shoe and invented the Nike Air Walker Max. The far-sighted brand remixed the Air Max by restoring the structure with phylon technology. Undoubtedly, the sneakers were lighter and floaty. And then came the Air Max 90, which was a follow-up project by Tinker. Even though the sneakers are proudly known in sneaker history, they were crafted with some amount of pressure.
Vintage Nike Ad ©Nike
Originally known as Nike Air Max 3, these coveted trainers were released three years after Air Max 1. The shoe’s success involved a lot of intricate detailing and unique mechanism. The sneaker inception flaunted a blend of aggressive colourways, bold appeal and a wide-reaching visible air unit. The runners were the first to feature a multi lace port mechanism on the upper. The moulded section on the upper was engulfed in making the footwear performance-oriented. Until 2000, these Nike trainers were acknowledged as Air Max 3. Soon they were retroed and renamed as Air Max 90. Tinker ensured that the culture and performance aspects of runners begin and end with these Swoosh trainers.
Nike loves going offbeat and often moves its products off shelves. Therefore, the brand is repeatedly attacked by critics and is seldom floating in a troubled paradise. This time was no exception. Tinker and Nike as a team were showered with negative reviews, and the beginning was not even close to being rosy. The bold colour blocking, overbearing airbag with an audacious infrared window and drastically different midsoles were seen screaming aloud. This seemed like the designer tried to throw a tech from the 2000s into a legend from the 1990s. The sneakerhead community is certainly very opinionated. And the opinions were seen flooding all over. Hatfield stayed confident regardless of the domineering negative reviews. And what happened much later is not hidden from anyone.
These famous silhouettes became a long term success and created an astounding impact on the history of footwear. In a nutshell, these runners changed the entire sneaker game.
Recommended Reading:Nike Air Force 1: A Complete Guide
The revolutionary AM90 has outdone every archive of Nike. Legendary designer Tinker Hatfield had all the sneakerheads going gaga with the release of Air Max 90. Apart from Nike being a lionized brand, these runners’ detailed and intricate making has massively contributed to the mammoth success.
Tinker introduced the exposed air unit with the launch of Air Max 1. He differentiated the Air Max 90 by exaggerating the thickness with a bold infrared colourway. There were no qualms about missing the airbags. The mastermind accentuated the air unit with a relatively gigantic window. The autocratic design made the bubble look even more aggressive on the midsole. Sure, this was Nike’s one of the most audacious characteristics of the show. The obnoxiously large bubble contributed to the sneakers fame. It doesn’t end there; the side panels are wrapped with ribbed fluid lines and therefore act as a frame to enrich the air unit further.
The footwear also featured a technical design with variable width forefoot eyelets. These streetwear trainers feature 7 eyelets and flat shoelaces to provide a crossed lacing styling. This multi lace lock system lets the wearer customize the shoe tie up and feel cosier.
Image Credits: pinterest.com/efrost07
Nike aims at constantly improving the material with every sneaker it drops. And yes, Air Max 90 is no exception. You can find revamped mesh on the toe box to assure maximum breathability to the user. Tinker has also crafted this style-friendly footwear, so the runner feels stable at any given point. The thermoplastic straps let the athletes take over the game completely thanks to amplified security. This element also brings Nike cult following from hardcore runners.
The uppers show a sign of extravagant materials like durmomesh, synthetic leather and suede. Nike also incorporated the Hyperfuse technology in some of the sneakers to provide good wear and tear. In a way, this mechanism also helped in making the shoes lighter and more breathable. The foam midsole and bouncy outsole provide traction on the tracks with a great grip.
All of these exotic materials swelled up the performance and design tweaks never seen before!
Recommended Reading: Nike Dunk: A Complete Guide
Nothing is perfect, and sometimes even the size isn’t! The Nike Air Max 90 may sometimes be true to the size and sometimes not.
The recrafted Nike sneakers are one of the most comfortable Air Maxes. They are not just iconic with their appeal but also with the solace they provide. These world-renowned silhouettes are well cushioned and provide an accurate amount of bounce. This makes the beauty an ideal pick for long, challenging activities. The large visible air bubble also adds to the comfort substantially. This provides groundbreaking support to the inner foot and helps in elevating the curve around the midfoot.
Also, the buffered insoles are crafted in need of arch support to the feet. In addition, the extruding lugs at the forefoot and reinforced heel let you feel springy yet lightweight at any given point. Walk around in the beast as much as you want!
The whippy inner layer, premium leather, air pouches, and heavy-duty construction makes the Air Max 90 one of the comfiest pairs.
Recommended Reading:Nike Air Max 1: A Complete Guide
Guess what the most amazing part is? You can style these kicks just as per your mood. Nothing is as black and white as styling these beauties. Since their inception, these sneakers have grabbed all the attention for their obnoxiously large air bubbles and bold colourways. Therefore, they are capable of dominating your attire graciously. Go simple or go bizarre! However, you like it.
Undoubtedly, the Nike AM 90 is super ingrained in its street culture. So, they can up your summer sneaker game and make your day dressing look straight out of a postcard. Bring out your oversized joggers and pair them with a smart fitted T-shirt. You can add a long jacket to this look for an uber-cool look. Well, if you want to go even more casual, simply wear your favourite ribbed denim shorts with an oversized casual t-shirt. Slip-on some soothing tube socks and let your vibrant OG sneakers do the drill for you.
If you are a bit fashion cuckoo in the head, dress up in printed Carhartt pants and a basic hoodie. Let your sneakers spell out the pop up of colours.
Whether you are hitting a dinner party or a banging club, you can definitely slay in these beasts. Love your blazer? Yes, it’s time to put them on and rock the look like a cookie monster. Stick to soft and neutral shades of a blazer and team them up with your eye candy trainers. These lace-up vogue sneakers also look glamorous with a pencil fitted skirt and a buttoned-up shirt. Sounds unconventional, doesn’t it?
Cleaning your Nike Air Max 90 is a straightforward and painless process. Before I begin telling you how to go about, the thumb rule of storing them is placing them inside the box and keeping them safe. Don’t just shove them in your cupboard ruthlessly. A well-taken care sneakers will always last you long.
Whilst you know the list of things you need to do, how about the DONTs?Here’s a list of things you must avoid.
Recommended Reading:Nike Air Jordan 1: A Complete Guide
Here’s a quick and straightforward comparison between the real and counterfeits to help you spot the bonafide pairs. Go step by step, and I promise it’s uncomplicated.
All of the above mentioned intricate details will help you spot the real Nikes and keep you away from the fake ones.
Recommended Reading: Nike Air Jordan 3: A Complete Guide
1. Nike Air Max 90 Warhawk: These trainers are real head turners with their impeccable design and fearless colour palette. The jaw-dropping design features a tiger shark print on the side panels symbolizing the flying tigers. Warhawk takes major inspiration from the aircraft P-40 Warhawk in the design and colour scheme and therefore flaunts all the attributes of the warplane inside and out. The prominent feature of the teeth sitting along with the midsole and upper sole is sure to have all the sneaker fanatics going gaga over it.
Best Feature: Exceptionally durable
2. Nike Air Max 90 OFF-WHITE: These mesmerizing runners can take the sneaker culture to different levels. The design cues of the trainers are on point. An eye-catchy blend of a signature red zip tie with exaggerated stitches and exposed foam make the runners a highly deserving candidate in every sneaker jaggers shoedrobe. Nike gracefully completes the coveted design with a translucent rubber sole.
Best Feature: Eye candy feels
Image Credits: sneakers-actus.fr
3. Nike Air Max 90 St. Patty’s Day: Take a closer look. These Nike AM 90s are totally unmissable. They flaunt a shamrock design decorating the sidewalls swathing from the toe mudguard to the mid panel. What’s stolen all the prizes is the bold gold Swoosh logo with some vivid hits of Mean Green. Dressed in Pine Green, the sneakers are accentuated with shades of green and highlighted eyestay plackets.
Best Feature: Aesthetically pleasing
4. Nike Air Max Lunar 90 SP Moon Landing: As the name says, these silhouettes really reached up to the moon with this eccentric version highlighting a moon graphic across the upper. The heel tabs flaunt American flag accents and complete a patriotic dedication to America’s space project. These stunners are now rarer than a lunar eclipse. Grab them right away!
Best Feature: Front lace-up fastening
Image Credit: klekt.com
5. Nike Air Max 90 Hufquake: The legendary Nike sneakers accentuate a ground-shattering aura with the white, grey and blue upper. The cracked earth print is visible throughout the runners. Nike loved flaunting the patented Air technology on the white midsole with a tinge of the blue patch. These kicks are also seen waving a hybrid platform and huarache details.
Best Feature: Comfortable footbed
Image Credits: pinterest.com
6. Nike Air Max 90 Hyperfuse Independence Day Red: The red tonal bold colourway is a must-have for every sneakerhead. It is crafted with a premium leather upper, a visible air unit in the heel and a foam midsole. This high-end fabrication promises ultimate durability and premium cushioning. The red beauty has also adopted the high-ranking hyperfuse construction, making it perfect for a day trip to the beach.
Best Feature: Ultra-durable
1. DQM Nike Air Max 90 Bacon Medium Brown CU1816-100: The vibrant colour palette is a feast in the sneaker realm. Crimson red on the midfoot blends flawlessly with soft beige and some pink accents and bbq brown tinge. This sure looks like bacon and gives a fresh and juicy vibe. The sizzling silo also features premium layers of suede and soft leather overlays. Let’s not overlook the dark brown heel panel with a pigskin pink visible air unit. It’s unmissable!
Best Feature: High spirited
Resale value: £149.00
2. Nike Air Max 90 LHM Multi DJ4703-900: If you are quirky in the head, you will love this beast on your feet. This technicolour print is galvanized by the 90s goalkeeper kit accentuating the die-cut panels. The Swoosh logo on the side panels is camouflaged with the colourful base and spot the ‘Familia’ hitting the ankle area. These colourful dapper sneakers complement every outfit beautifully.
Best Feature: Snug-fitting
Resale value: £127.00
3. Nike Air Max 90 SE Sail Cream DB0636-100: Classy is the right idiom to describe these silhouettes. The light cream tone of white on the overlays and fresh white tinge on the underlays blend beautifully. The soft tonal shades meet the dark green forest hues graciously. The whole combination is subtle yet adds a splash of energizing spread. So, it’s a real winner in the sneaker race.
Best Feature: Ultra light air midsole
Resale value: £174.99
Image Credits: Sneakernews.com
4. Nike Air Max 90 Duck Camo Total Orange CW4039-800: These blazing coveted trainers can bring a massive spark with every step you take. The stunner flaunts accents of black grace at the lace panel, with the camouflage print dignifying the toes. The bold trainers depict shades of brown with burnt orange and can jazz up any boring outfit from your wardrobe. The rubbery orange outsole completed the whole structure.
Best Feature: Well padded
Resale value: £159.00
5. Nike Air Max 90 Christmas 2020 DC1607-100: Christmas is around the corner, and these fancy silos are the perfect tribute to it. Spot the vibrant red accents painting the Swoosh, tongue branding and heel TPU panel. The snowy white fur on the inner lining imparts the perfect wintery vibes and lets you feel cosy on the feet. The trainers are absolutely astonishing with enormous, intricate detailing.
Best Feature: Enhanced cushioning tech
Resale value: £145.00
Like any other Air Max sneakers, celebrities are spotted painting the town red in these Nike AM 90s. Everyone seems to become a sneaker influencer with the big daddy on the feet to tell you the truth.
Image Credits: pinterest.co.uk/vibzn
Thirty years ago of fame, and everyone is still drooling over these trainers. Hip hop and rap musicians are ruling the sneaker game with the Air Max 90. Canadian rapper Aubrey Drake Graham rocked his all-black look by teaming up with crisp AM90 sneakers at a basketball tournament. Clifford Joseph Harris, popularly known as rapper T.I, has been a Nike fan since his childhood. He is often seen in them looking ravishing and nailing a summer vibe. He wore the runners in a bold colourway with basic cargo shorts and a t-shirt. The quick-witted mind rocked the look with black and white polka print socks.
Image Credits: shoespost.com
And why should boys have all the fun? Women are definitely at par with the sneaker game. Rhianna wore a V plunge midnight blue dress and accessorized it with some bold jewellery. Her white Air Max 90 and vivid red lips accentuated the entire attire.
Image Credits: welovesneakers.com
British singer Rita Ora always believes in playing it down. She flaunted three colourways – red, white and black- and looked super radiant from head to toe.
Image Credits: spotern.com
Emily Ratajkowski looked ultra-soothing while taking her dog for a walk. She wore a cosy blush overcoat with sparkling white Nike Air Max 90 sneakers. The retro-inspired look sure had all the eyeballs gazing at her.
Kanye West caused a storm in the sneaker lore by flaunting the Air max 90. He slipped onto vibrant red tone trainers and teamed up with an all-black ensemble.
Scott Fromi, better known as Kerser, is incredible with his music and his fashion choices. He is often seen flexing in many of the Air Max 90 runners at events and Instagram stories. One of his looks which swept us by our feet, is when he rolled a clean look with bright white sneakers and matched them with ball shorts. He sure felt and sat like a king on the couch.
The list does not end with the A-listers and fashion moguls; we love how athletes are protruding their love for the trainers on and off the ground/court. World-renowned Lebron James loves exploring Nike footwear, especially when he’s off the court. He wore chunky sneakers to a red carpet and kept it casual with his attire. American footballer – Michael Victor Cruz loves having his fashion game to the point. He was seen holidaying in his favourite Air Max 90 sneaker.
Image Credits: twitter.com/SLAMonline
Swiss Basketball player – Thabo Patrick Sefolosha is the only one to wear these iconic trainers on the court. He swears by not facing any of the issues like the other NBA players.
Image Credits: lifewithoutandy.com
The Game had all the women drivelling over his shirtless look at the gym and the enticing white AM90 sneakers playing it cool. Beyonce sure looks ultra charismatic as always, and the glitzy Air Max 90 trainers added on to her glam roster.
Recommended Reading:Nike Air Jordan 4: A Complete Guide
And that’s a wrap to our Nike Air Max complete guide. I am sure every sneaker junkie has grasped all the vital details and leaves our page with a grin.
Now you know what you gotta do next, right? Grab these stunners and add them to your shoedrobe right away. Well, if you want to be in the loop with all the Nike releases, stay in touch with us. Fast Sole loves their loyalists. Be the first to clench on every minor detail on Nike Air Max 90.
See you soon!
Copyright Fastsole 2024 |
All Rights Reserved |
Company Reg No. 10812528 |